Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No fear -- at least not fear that stops me from trusting God

This was the type of sermon that made me want to run while still pinning me to my chair. A few elements jumped out at me.

Mark 4:35-41
35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."
36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him.
37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.
38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"
39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"
41 They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

The stern, (where Jesus was sleeping,) is the rear of the boat. Isn't it funny that when we think we can't find Jesus, that He was standing right behind us all the time?!

The opposite of faith is not doubt, it's FEAR. Jesus asked the disciples if they still had NO faith, (Mk. 4:40).

Two worldviews are painfully close to my heart, love and fear. No, faith does not take fear away, it just puts it in its place. This made me think of my family's desire for security and worldly guarantees. My counselor reminded me yesterday that no matter how discouraged I am now, I KNOW Who guarantees the hope of my future. I think that is the hope we must draw upon to walk through the storms. Love asks us to trust when all else seems lost.

Finally, having no fear doesn't mean not ever being afraid, it means moving through trusting that God is carrying us in our weakened states. This is where I get stuck. I'm tired of feeling weak and needing so much help. (Many physical spasms and transit reliability issues have magnified that feeling this week.) I sense that God is waiting for me to look up and realize that He has ideas for me to use when I'm ready to move on. Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment