Over the last few weeks, I have been challenged by our sermons and my own inner wrestlings. Now, I'll try to express some of those musings.
The first challenging sermon talked about being a weed in the world because the mustard seed plant is actually a weed. I laughed out loud then. My mom is a fastidious gardener who cannot stand any weeds or out-of-place blooms. it's her way of "ordering" a corner of the world and continuously orchestrating its growth. I was struck by a few lines from what will always be known as the "Weeds for God" message. A mustard seed is apparently an annual plant, which would ordinarily not make a good home for birds and others who wish to establish themselves, but in the Lords economy, what seems absurd is often the way things come together best! Seeing that paradox under a spotlight reminds me why I have been planted as a "weed" in a family that loves gardening, order and beauty which they endeavor to control and train into the shape the think best. God makes me laugh! His plans are the most beautifully, impossible paradoxes ever. They are too good to be anything less than perfect in their time! The purposes of God persist despite the odds. Hallelujah!
Here are the verses from Mark 4:30-34:
30 Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it?
31 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground.
32 Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."
33 With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand.
34 He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.
I wrote of being challenged by a second message. New post will follow shortly!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment