Tuesday, June 2, 2009

More from Ezekiel as promised

The whole passage is Ezekiel 37:1-14, but the included verses are the ones that stuck with me. Here's why... In verse 1, The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley... makes me think that the Lord can and does ask us to enter a valley, knowing that His hand is there to guide us through whatever we find in that low, desolate place. Next, I connected to verse 3 because God is asking me what I think and then challenging me to remember that He knows things I cannot fathom!

He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" I said, "O Sovereign LORD, you alone know." I really believe that the Spirit of God gives life in a unique way. Being asthmatic often reminds me that my "breath of life" accomplishes a myriad of things far beyond myself, but that I would not exist without breathing's unforeseen power. That is why I identified with verse 6, ...I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.' " The last two lines of the passage spoke to me as well. Here are verses 13 and 14. Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD... I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.' " Those last two lines spoke to me through their repetitive cadence because the part of me that struggles to trust what I read needs promises reinforced many times over. In that way, God will give me my own land, (perhaps in the form of home to call my own,) and He will do so in a way that leaves NO DOUBT of His ability to provide for me! There are more times than I can count when God has carried me out of painful places. Right now, I feel like I've been sitting on this valley floor for a long time, but I know not to rush Timing. Thanks to Ezekiel, I can see purpose slowly being formed in this bleak place.

No comments:

Post a Comment