Saturday, July 25, 2009

Chairs with big wheels, showers with benches and buses on sidewalks

My post title reminds me of a Dr Seuss lyric. I need the strength to advocate effectivelty in order to move beyond this funk. I am trying to move forward. That means moving OUT. I cannot do this alone, so I asked a friend for her help.
I have a favor to ask... I got a copy of the Tacoma area wheelchair access apt list yesterday. One of the listed complexes, Steeplchase in Lakewood, is marked as a property with roll-in showers. When you were looking for Lakewood area apts, did you go there? (It's off Steilacoom Blvd within a few blocks of the Albertsons, I think.) There are buses that run along Steilacoom Blvd as well. IF your schedule permits, could you & I look at it together? Please?! You're more practically minded and apartment savvy than me... THANKS!!

here is a portion of what I wrote in response to that friend:

I prefer to meet people in my manual chair at first. That sometimes minimizes the stigma of "power chair = less capable." I'd appreciate a ride from you! If you're willing, you could drive our wheelchair van. My parents' insurance covers 25+ and I assume you have a good driving record. From the looks of things, they only have 2 bedroom units open right now at Steeplechase and those all have bathtub/shower combos. I am hesitant to call and ask about wheelchair access because that usually illicits a "Great... can they pay??" type of awkward silence. YES, I need to get over that... I also know that moving will take time. (Both time for $$ and gathering furniture and other housewares.) Perhaps I'll have gathered enough courage to call and inquire about specific access features by then :) I hate having additional needs that I never asked Him for... Pray that any apt people I contact would be willing to work with me. That way if I am able to view a roll-in apt, I could test my bigger chair's dimensions against the surroundings. I usually leave it parked in a corner when I'm home, though.

I also went to the Pierce Transit trip planner page asnd entered Steeplechase's main address. The system suggested that I get off the 212 bus at Steilacoom and Hipkins, then walk .20 miles to the complex's address. (Go a block along Steilacoom and turn at 83rd). Not too bad; I think that area is all sidewalked anyhow.

I am also contemplating writing city & county officers to force Pierce to reverse (I pray!) my restricted Shuttle access. Found individual contact info for the members of the Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners and the Pierce County Coordinated Transportation Council yesterday. Thank God for library resources! It's very difficult for me think of HOW to write and advocacy letter now. I am too mad to think objectively or act courteously. They've beaten me down so many times that I just want to tell them off and LEAVE this county!

Let me know what you think of my schemes thus far. THANKS for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment