Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stubborn Love

Yesterday, I received an email from a courageous woman I am proud to call my friend!. She is a school teacher and single mom. Her husband decided to leave when their daughter was not quite 5 months old. My friend has spent the intervening year learning what it means to move on and love again in spite of great losses. The message she wrote me yesterday has the kind of wisdom that comes from circumstances refined by dizzying, painful fire. Her words underscore the lack of what I have been seeing at home.

Communication is critical between all people in any kind of relationship. My dad refuses to listen to any views that difier from his, and even though Mom tries to meet him in his world, he still will not budge. Terribly sad to be that stubborn. Destructive! My parents attended two family counseling sessions with me, but our John was really uncomfortable at the first one and told mom he'd never do that again. She told him that those actions showed that he didn't care about our family and wasn't willing to support either Mom or me. He did attend the 2nd meeting, but used it to tear into me verbally. I told my counselor after that yelling match that my family session attempts were finished. There are a few things I will not subject myself to... That's one of 'em!

My friend wrote that her heart breaks when she thinks about me being a casualty in the "parent war." My heart is definitely torn as I attempt NOT to pick sides or react reflexively to my parents. I feel like the "adult" in their war. I'm an outsider lookin' in for sure. Thankfully, I spoke to the TACID housing office half an hour ago. The lady promised to mail me a current housing list this afternoon.

Continue to pray for us. I am afraid my parents' marriage is in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment