Yesterday's creation vs. evolution sermon wasn't what I expected. I believe that God works through science, even in spite of the mindset of some doctors I met as a child. I grew up in a family that still asserts "I don't need God, I have doctors." This gives me plenty to wrestle with. As a child, I hated having to work so hard to physically move. I was confused and mad because my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Mosca, was always trying to make me walk better and seem more like the other kids while my legs wouldn't cooperate. My parents wanted me to walk as much as I could. They hoped a type of corrective surgery would give me more chances to fit in with my peers. I remember Dr. Mosca telling me that once he did my 5-tendon releases-per-leg surgery, I'd be able to walk with arm crutches and not need my wheels in the house any longer. His over-confident, Italian charms mollified my frightened mom and aggravated my dad's sense of male pride. I trusted Dr. Mosca with the depth only a child possesses... falsely. I suffered nerve damage and never managed to do more than stand for 20 seconds with arm crutches. So much for a doctor's promises, I thought... Needless to say, I resented the title calling God "Great Physician" for ages.
Over the past few years, God has allowed me to meet a few doctors, even a surgeon, who are chipping my former ideas away. As I get to know these doctors personally, I see them as compassionate Christians who find the Lord in medicine. A year or so ago I found a book at the library called "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief," written by Dr. Francis S. Collins. Dr. Collins heads the Human Genome Project. He dedicated his life and profession to the Lord in the midst of mapping DNA and studying biochemistry. This book is written in a very approachable style that had me hooked within pages. Reading Dr. Collins' zest for faith through medicine began to shift my thinking.
I may never know what Dr. Mosca, my pediatric orthopedic surgeon believes, but God has provided ways for me to excel even after my body did not react as "promised" after the surgery I endured. Yesterday's sermon didn't say that God is a creationist or evolutionist. He is Creator, period. He made me and those who care for me with their best knowledge and skills. I've learned that doctors don't know everything, though. Thank God I don't have to, either!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment