Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baptism

Today I've been thinking of my friends' baptism timing question while they consider when to have their son baptized.

Here's much of my note to them:
I don't think there is one "right" or "wrong" answer per se, just one that reflects your loving trust and obedience to the Lord who's blessed you with your wonderful Little Mister :)

Here's a piece of my own story: I was baptized as an infant. My mom was raised Presbyterian, my father Catholic. They attended an Episcopal church when I was small, so that's where I was officially baptized. After I accepted Christ at 14 and felt my heart begin to change over time, I was frustrated by the ceremony my mom and father took part in long before I had any awareness... I believe the hardest part of infant baptism is that it comes from the parents, not the child. My family is loving and supportive, but they're not professing Christians. The grace of God, however, has never been limited by them! (Personally, I was angry when I discovered that as a now-Presbyterian who was infant-baptized, I cannot be "washed" again.) My family simply did what they felt was right. God took their efforts as well-intended, lost people and blessed them. I am grateful for the grace that has always covered me, but I would have preferred to make my own confession and then be baptized.

If I'm ever a mom... I'd pray like crazy for my child to feel the love of Jesus, and encourage them to seek baptism when they were ready to step out n personal faith and do so. Baptism is the sign of relationship between God and His child. We're called to be His children at ANY age, so the act of stepping forward is just as significant at 2 or 82.

Bless you both as you decide how best to follow the Lord right now! -- Kjersti

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your perspective, Kjersti! Check your facebook page for a somewhat different perspective from someone who was baptized as a ten-year-old believer! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kjersti, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about this issue! I feel like I'm not really quite sure what I believe right now regarding Christianity and the Christian Church in America (and the many many different forms this takes with splits in denominations, etc). Because of this I've been thinking about what it would mean to baptize Oliver as a parent going through a time of questioning...Glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete