God is sovereign over life and death. He loves all people, those who do His good and those who knew it once and turned away. This includes a deep love for a lost, troubled son who chose to kill an equally kind, righteous daughter. Our world is BROKEN so good people sometimes suffer horrendously. At the end of the day, though, no amount of anger or grief from a parent can change the fact that the world is full of things far beyond our control or comprehension. Redeem this, please Lord!
Yesterday I learned that a classmate from SPU was the elementary school teacher killed in Tacoma. I studied SpEd 7 years ago at SPU and had many classes with Jenny. She also worked in the main dining area, Gwinn Commons, serving food and cleaning endlessly. Her quiet presence and wonderful smile made it very clear to me that she thrived on doing good for others. As last night progressed, I heard from many former SPU classmates. One in fact, had dated Jenny briefly and roomed later in college with the shooter. Now, we all battle disbelief over every event and the unimaginable outcome.
I find my thoughts spinning back to a short, complicated phrase. LOVE AS GOD HAS LOVED YOU. That's not hard to do and feel for Jenny's family and their vast loss, but what about Jed? What made him think he had the right to harass and pursue a beloved daughter and selfishly take her life?! It doesn't make sense! It may never... Tonight, as I pray for Scripture to fill my thinking, I snagged myself on a phrase about "rain falling on the just and unjust." I knew it was from a gospel. Thanks to BibleGateway and Google, I found it in Matthew 5. Eerily, the NIV places it in the middle of a section named Love For Enemies.
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
After reading this portion, I am reminded again just how little I understand God's ability to love. Please remember to pray for BOTH families affected by yesterday's horrific shooting. God grieves with and for them both, and so should we.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Interesting that you should post this Kjersti...I am so glad you did. First let me say I am sorry for your loss; I'm sure all of you are deeply saddened by the loss of your friends. As it turns out, I was immediately convicted to remember this young man's family in prayer as well as his victim's family. I can only imagine their shock, to say nothing of the guilt and shame they will now have to work through. Someone yesterday reminded me of the love the Amish people showed to the family of the man who stormed into that schoolhouse a few years ago and killed kids.
ReplyDeleteMay God bless and comfort all those whose lives are now forever changed by this tragic moment in time.