Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shuttle saga continues

I got a Shuttle services application packet in the mail yesterday -- looks as if Pierce Transit is making all current passengers re-apply for Shuttle services. I must sign and return the papers before Oct 23 or I'll be considered "no longer in need" of Shuttle services. Now isn't that a "unique," punitive way of cutting budgets/reducing passenger volume?!

If the newly listed eligibility administrator has an ounce of compassion or logic, she might actually comprehend that there is no longer a bus stop near me. Never mind that the stop terrain was ALWAYS gravel & dirt! Well, then again... if the new eligibility coordinator is as much of a policy-enforcing bureaucrat as her predecessor, I'm still very much between a rock and a hard place. Just to highlight the depth of my need for Shuttle services, I'll have my doc, PT and "licensed mental health counselor" all sign the app and testify on my "disabled" behalf. Nothing is simple in my world!

I had a very good, much appreciated thing happen this afternoon. I typically call the Shuttle reservations office every Sunday afternoon to set up the rides I KNOW I'll need for the week ahead. I have a counseling appt this Thursday, and because my counselor's office is on Pearl St. in north Tacoma, I am usually refused a Shuttle-only ride and told that I must use the Shuttle van to connect with a fixed route bus. (Going to and from using the suggested combination of bus and shuttle takes nearly 90 min each way... all for an hour-long counseling session!) I don't do that willingly and usually find a parent, neighbor or friend to drive me instead. For some reason, I GOT my Shuttle-only counseling ride this time! I'm not going to ask questions... THANK YOU!!

Pray for a helpful, encouraging outcome to my upcoming "new" application for Shuttle services, please. Luv ya for your support :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh ack, I'm sorry something that should be serving you in a simple and convenient way is just so complicated and frustrating! Hope the new paperwork/application is relatively easy and things are put back on track! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete