Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My pain helps others?

A few weeks ago, I was asked to share a few glimpses of my life story during the church women's retreat, all under the title Moving From Resentment to Gratitude. I said yes and then began to ask God what in the world I had agreed to... After many prayers, it became clear that God was directing me to share from the pain of my adolescence. As I prayed and outlined my words, God continually took me through the alley of teenage suffering. The morning of my talk arrived and I woke early and began to make notes over the top of what what already there. Clearly, God was still moving. I finally approached the front of the room and began to share, read the chosen Scripture about Jesus healing the man born blind so that "the work of God might be displayed" in that man's life, then I dumped the outline... God took over completely then.

I did share from the depths of my adolescent agony, but through the love of a friend my prepared words did not address. Janny. The rift between us is too vast to write about, but I would not be the Christian I am now if God had not used her then. Just like Queen Esther being called to intercede of behalf of her fellow Jews, Janny's role in my introduction to the reality of Jesus was clearly visible as she literally stood in front of 14-year-old me wearing her favorite, red Coca-Cola style logo "EnjoyJesus" sweatshirt representing true love and acceptance at the time I needed it most. Others had tried to reach me with the message of Jesus, but I could not accept that He loved me until I saw His love made real in Janny.

I feel so divided from her now! How is God going to restore our friendship?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have heard you speak! How did the interview go last week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would've enjoyed the weekend very much!

    No other progress with that job :( I am going back there this coming TH to take another set of skill tests which make me eligible for other openings for 1 yr. PLEASE!!

    Sent Janny an Easter card. No word from her yet.

    Hugs to you & Tony! KJ

    ReplyDelete