Suspended
I had grasped God's garment in the void
but my hand slipped
on the rich silk of it.
The 'everlasting arms' my sister loved to remember
must have upheld my leaden weight
from falling, even so,
for though I claw at empty air and feel nothing, no embrace,
I have not plummeted.
I had grasped God's garment in the void
but my hand slipped
on the rich silk of it.
The 'everlasting arms' my sister loved to remember
must have upheld my leaden weight
from falling, even so,
for though I claw at empty air and feel nothing, no embrace,
I have not plummeted.
The message of the poem struck me because as a kid who rode horses competitively, my nickname was Death Grip, a title proudly earned because of the strength with which I clung to my sidewalking assistants, my horse and saddle, but mostly my fear of falling. I NEVER fell, though. in over 13 years of riding. I never fell once largely because I trusted my coaches and volunteers.
For the past 3 days, a wise friend whom I trust has been kind enough to read and comment as I type out the saga between a childhood friend and myself. Tonight's reply from my wise friend shone a spotlight on something. As I've written about the elementary school friendship that detoured in college when I felt much differently about him than he did about me, I've felt myself settling into old, familiar Death Grip posture. Scripture and song remind me that the Lord pursues me with an unrelenting love. Why do I hold so tightly to fear? I know God is MUCH bigger and more capable than me. He has already brought me to a place of assurance and security I never would have thought possible. I'm beginning to see a link between literally falling and spiritually being call to fall... in love with Him from a different angle? Away from something I fear? Lord knows. He has yet to show me, though. This Thursday's Bible Study lesson will broach the contrast between Love & Fear. It's gonna be a whopper of a week!
For the past 3 days, a wise friend whom I trust has been kind enough to read and comment as I type out the saga between a childhood friend and myself. Tonight's reply from my wise friend shone a spotlight on something. As I've written about the elementary school friendship that detoured in college when I felt much differently about him than he did about me, I've felt myself settling into old, familiar Death Grip posture. Scripture and song remind me that the Lord pursues me with an unrelenting love. Why do I hold so tightly to fear? I know God is MUCH bigger and more capable than me. He has already brought me to a place of assurance and security I never would have thought possible. I'm beginning to see a link between literally falling and spiritually being call to fall... in love with Him from a different angle? Away from something I fear? Lord knows. He has yet to show me, though. This Thursday's Bible Study lesson will broach the contrast between Love & Fear. It's gonna be a whopper of a week!

No comments:
Post a Comment