Sunday, February 15, 2009

Many days, same theme... there may be a lesson here!

Last Sunday, we heard a sermon from Isaiah 40 that, among other things, asked us (along with the people of Israel) to consider their place in God's world... I was reminded of God's sovereignty and the minuteness of humanity, which put me in my place for several reasons. Thursday's Bible study brought a discussion of Job. Job is a complex man and for some reason, I've always been comforted by his story. His suffering illustrates a depth no man can fathom; yet he endured it long enough to be blessed far beyond even his former riches, all without forsaking the Lord. Realizing that my utterly sovereign omniscient God uses every circumstance to carry out His plan for humankind made me think so me more... God knows what His intentions are. He also knows where my life will lead, so I'd better let him drive. Why is it that I routinely trust bus drivers and still balk at the Lord's "driving" ability?!

Now I'd like to tell ya about a second theme from the past week. Leprosy. It's not what I expected, trust me... Leprosy, especially the social impact of that disease in the Biblical era, sometimes reminds me of my own disability. It amazes me that Naaman was a General in the king's army, even though he was a leper. God may be making a point there! How many times have I been stomped on by people and their perceptions and then been forced to wrestle over my life purpose?

I taught this morning's 2nd grade lesson -- the story about the 10 lepers whom Jesus healed, (the same story where only one of the men thanks Jesus in Luke 17). After Sunday School, the "upstairs" sermon was on Naaman who was also healed from leprosy. It cannot be coincidental that I was asked to read and consider two stories about leprosy in one day... Naaman's king asked for his healing, and sent him to find Elisha. Naaman was a general in the king's army, so he expected to be well-received by the prophet. Well, Naaman didn't get what he thought he should. That resonated with me. Especially when the servant of Elisha's met him instead and gave him the prophet's message that he should wash 7 times in the plain ole Jordan River. Again, I noticed the ordinary move there. Naaman got really mad! I've been there, too. C'mon God... do something BIG. God shakes His head at me. How many times have I missed the first bus because I'm looking for a limo? Today's lessons reminded me that life happens by God's design every moment, whether it goes as I think it should or not. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as though God's been orchestrating events in your life for a purpose, all right! Thanks for these insights, and for your candor, Kjersti. It's a gift!

    ReplyDelete